Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Kids Can Change the World!


We have a poster hanging by the door to the pod in our room, and you know I talk about it as much as I can.  Little things mean a lot, and you--as a kid, can change the world.  We've talked about reducing, reusing and recycling.  We've talked about composting. Those things can change the world.


But we have a few events coming up that I want you to think about, and I hope, look forward to.  By taking part in them, you can change the world.



One is Caps For Kids. That's not the official name, but we'll call it that for now.  On Wednesday, October 21st, we're asking all LWS students to wear a cap to school and make a donation for the privilege of doing so.  The money is then donated to purchase hats for kids with cancer. The minimum donation is one dollar, but you can give more.



Just recently, I have made friends with a young woman who has leukemia--a kind of blood cancer--so when our Becki suggested participating in this day as part of her student council speech, it really touched my heart. My friend  Sarah still has her hair, but she's met lots of kids--some your age, who have lost theirs because of the medicines they are taking to fight their cancer. I'll be wearing a cap that day, and I'll make a donation.  I hope you decide to too.



 (This is a picture from our first trip, last year!)


Some time in October, I'm still working on the date, we will be walking to the Elder Day Center here in Batavia.  I'm very excited for you to see how the clients spend their days there, and for each of you to share your time with some very special people.  They look forward to our visits very much.  Being a friend to someone, can change the world!  (We will need parent chaperones!)




And since I'm just feeling so good about all the good you can do, I will tell you that we are going to Feed My Starving Children in May. It seems like a long time away, but ask your parents to save the date:  May 7th, because we'll need lots of chaperones for that special trip where you will help feed kids in need!

How cool is this life we have, eh?

7 comments:

  1. To answer your question, the life we have is VERY cool : )

    I love the title of this post because it is oh so true! Sometimes those little things are the things that mean the most. I think that it's AWESOME that one of your students suggested the idea of "Caps for Kids" at your school. It's something that so many kids benefit from, and means a lot to them. It's something Brianna and I were just talking about the other day!

    I also think it's really awesome that your class has a teacher like you! I wish I would have had a teacher to take me to an elder day care center, and especially to Feed My Starving Children! That organization is amazing, and it's really cool that you give your kids the chance to be a part of something that does so much good : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah,

    Maybe you can come with us to FMSC in May. And we hope to go to the elder day center often, and you're always welcome to go along.

    Last year I had a bunch of kids who wanted to be on student council, but only four could be elected. So, I promised them I'd find a service project kids could do. I really didn't know what I could come up with, and then one day I was sitting in a meeting at our district office, and I looked across the street and saw the center. I called them the next day.

    We went, I think, four times last year, and it was wonderful! I can't wait to go back with this year's class.

    We did FMSC children last year with 5th, and I know the 4th grade trip will make just as many memories and make a difference in this world.

    My kids are hoping to meet you one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous said...

    Dear Ms.Stewart,
    thak you for puting my name in the blog about the cancer.
    from Becki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I like the new blog post!!!
    Anna Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Anna Marie. I look forward to making even more good memories with my first ever 4S!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right now in computer lab, we took a break from keyboarding and we earned 17,930 grains of rice at freerice.com.

    Then, I learned that somewhere around the world, a child dies from hunger every six seconds. It's amazing to know we have helped to keep that from happening, just by practicing our math facts, our Spanish, or our vocabulary.

    Let's start thinking about a holiday project we can do to Change the World!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to go to FEED MY STARVING CHILDREN

    Jordyn

    ReplyDelete

Dear 4S students and families,

I'd love for you to comment here, and please sign your name. Be kind, and remember, anyone visiting this blog can read what you have shared. So, if you have a private concern, you would be best off calling me or emailing me.