Thursday, February 18, 2010

Earth Day IS Every Day

     In both my personal and professional life I am constantly looking for little changes I can make to do the least amount of damage to our world as possible.  So many of the things we do are for convenience; they may save us a few moments, but they can really damage the Earth.
     From one of the last book orders, I ordered the book You Can Save the Planet:  50 Ways You Can Make a Difference. Yep, I ordered myself a kids' book.  I learn so much from kids' books, and this one is great! I found I already do a lot of the things suggested in the book, but I also thought about more little changes I can make to help the environment. 
     Today, using cut up repurposed paper, we took kind of a quiz and guessed at how long the items listed below would take to decay (turn back into Earth) if we were to bury them.
     Talk to your parents and see if they can make reasonable guesses, and tomorrow I'll share the answers!  (Don't tell them...)  Tell them to make their guesses in how many weeks, months or years, just like we did.

  • A sheet of paper
  • An orange peel
  • A paper milk carton (like we drink from at lunch)
  • A cigarette butt
  • A tin can (like a soup can)
  • A pop can
  • A plastic bag
  • A Styrofoam cup (like from Sonic or Portillo's)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ms.Stewart,
    both my mom and sister did the quiz.
    My sister thinks she did ok. My mom think she did horrible but I think they both did great.
    than for the quiz I think they be surprise
    with the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms. Stewart
    I quized my mom and I think she did ok!!! I can't remeber some of the answers of the questions but i do remeber the last one!!!!! It is so sad what people somethimes do with garbage!!!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me sad to think that so many of the things we throw away each day will remain intact for such a long time. Although big gestures do make a difference short term, sometimes it is the little stuff, the little changes that can make an impact that lasts a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete

Dear 4S students and families,

I'd love for you to comment here, and please sign your name. Be kind, and remember, anyone visiting this blog can read what you have shared. So, if you have a private concern, you would be best off calling me or emailing me.