Monday, March 22, 2010

Pysanky Eggs

     Pysanky Eggs are Russian spring decorative eggs that are waxed on, dyed, waxed on, dyed, waxed off (with an open flame) and polished.  How's that for a descriptive how to?  Today we read Patricia Polacco's Chicken Sunday in which the eggs are featured, and then we watched a Youtube video of a woman making the "real" eggs.  After that we did a 4S version, a tradition in my classroom now for over a decade.
     We waxed on to paper with black crayons, and then painted with watercolors for the dye.  They are one of my all-time favorite kids created art projects.  The class was into it to.  For over an hour it was silent in the room as they created these spring masterpieces.
     ...and then one more to share, a smaller one though you can't really tell.  Our fragile Earth.

5 comments:

  1. Rachel O. via facebookMarch 22, 2010 at 7:48 PM

    What talent! These are very colorful eggs. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so much fun making them!!!!!!!!! It was a very good idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These eggs turned out great 4S students and Ms. Stewart! I'm glad the kids are getting a chance to use their artistic talents in the classroom as well!

    Mr. Schulze

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, 4S! It is so wonderful to see so many of my old friends. Thanks, Anna Marie and Brittany for checking out my 3C blog. I love reading your comments! Your eggs are all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish i was there :(

    ReplyDelete

Dear 4S students and families,

I'd love for you to comment here, and please sign your name. Be kind, and remember, anyone visiting this blog can read what you have shared. So, if you have a private concern, you would be best off calling me or emailing me.