Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dissecting Dirt

     Last September, we had Mrs. Oakley in to talk about composting.  We learned about what worms in soil could do to organic material.  Then we took two big buckets and loaded them with top soil, worms, and various items we would normally throw away.   We predicted what would happen to each buried item.  We wrote our work up, using the scientific method, and waited for May.
     We had buried the following in each bucket:  banana peel, lettuce leaf, plastic water bottle, a plastic grocery bag, wrapper from a granola bar, shredded paper, dryer lint, flower bloom and leaves from a geranium, crab apple tree leaves, a carrot slice, and six grapes.  (I added some other organic items throughout the year in hopes the worms had enough food!)
     Today, we split into two groups and carefully scooped all the dirt out onto our tables and analyzed the changes.
Here we are scooping and observing:


Here's all that was left:


     The bottle, the wrapper and the bag are pretty much unchanged (and a little dirty). Not much of a surprise since we've learned plastic pretty much lives forever if it's not recycled. The worms are fat and happy! I'm taking all three bowls full of them home tomorrow to plant with my flowers.  Until then, I'm them water and some veggies from my Subway sandwich to snack on.
     This guy didn't want to go back into the earth, and when I put the green pepper in his bowl, he wiggled around a great deal. It was pretty interesting.
     So what did your fourth grader learn from this?  Ask him!  Ask her!
 

9 comments:

  1. Tina, via facebookMay 6, 2010 at 1:45 PM

    I bet those are some of the happiest worms on earth! Good job, 4S!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss Stewart,
    I love doing the worm's,it was fun the start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey miss. Stewart I loved doing the worm's like becki said it was a great start and who won earth worm's or red worm's?
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa the scientistMay 6, 2010 at 7:08 PM

    Yay! It's awesome to see your students excited about science! I love that you found such a practical and tangible experiment for them. I'm sure they'll remember it for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it was sooooooooo fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. it was fun with the worms lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks it was a lot of fun. Enjoy the worms for your flowers Miss Stewart! Take some of this dirt with you as it is nutrient rich for your blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The worm project was very intresting and fun!! I loved doing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a ball and I have nothing to do but do this or face-book but i not in a mood to chat with my cuz..

    ReplyDelete

Dear 4S students and families,

I'd love for you to comment here, and please sign your name. Be kind, and remember, anyone visiting this blog can read what you have shared. So, if you have a private concern, you would be best off calling me or emailing me.